Friday, February 8, 2008

Quilts

My friend Ellie is having a contest for a cute comforter that she made for a toddler bed you can look at it at http://attachedparent.blogspot.com/. I am not much of an essayist, but I will give it a try. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a favorite that I could write about and have it seem interesting (I can't choose a favorite kid), so I will write about a favorite hobby.

When I was younger all of my mom's family would come down to the ranch for hunting season. While the men were out traipsing across the mountain looking for a deer, the women would spend the weekend working on a quilt upstairs. I remember laying under the quilt watching them work on it and seeing the beautiful patterns.

One year for Christmas Grandma Norma made us 6 kids special quilts. She put so much work into them making them very personalized. Mine had a large doll in the middle and one of the boys got one with tractors.

All of this lead to a love of quilts, but not so much a love for making them. In high school a quilting club got started and I started learning how to make one and fell in love with it. Although I didn't ever finish anything from that club, most of the blocks got disassembled later for other quilts, I learned the joy of making them. At snow college I took a quilting class that truly taught me how to put one together, and I made my first one. I even spent a year quilting it to make it special. I love that quilt. Since then I have experimented and had fun making baby quilts for friends and family, and a few more for my own little family. It is a hobby that brings me joy and enjoyment. Thanks to all who have contributed to the knowledge and love for quilting that I have attained.

1 comment:

le35 said...

Jackie's purple quilt you made her is still special to her. Thanks for the beautiful image of lying under the quilt watching them. I can still remember lying underneath the quilt frames as a child, too. I hope that as sewing gets more expensive, we don't lose beautiful art like this