Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dailynn

I love Mrs. Candland!  She is such an awesome teacher that has such great ideas for the students to learn and grow.  At the start of the year she gave every student a sight words book and said that if they finished all 48 lists of 25 words or groups of words by the end of the year they would get to go to a bowling party.  When it was time for parent teacher conference in march we realized that we had only done about 7 of those lists.  We worked real hard for the next month and a half and got it done!!!!  It was a huge accomplishment for both of us!  The bowling party was so much fun.  Watching these 7-8 yr old kids trying the throw bowling balls down the alley and hit the pins was a blast!!

The other awesome thing is that the whole first grade got to go to the zoo for a field trip.  Before they went they had to do a research paper on an animal at the zoo.  Dailynn chose the Giraffe (I'm real good at spelling that now that we have worked on the project so much).  We spent a Saturday writing and rewriting the paper to turn it in.  Then the next week we got to make a poster with pictures and facts from the paper.  After going to the zoo, they then got to present their own zoo.  Each kid got to dress up like their animal and present their facts to the spectators (the parents and students from the rest of the school)  I was totally stumped on how to make a Giraffe costume for her, and slowly the ideas came to me.  I wanted to do a paper bag with yellow paint, but then realized I didn't have any paper bags, and was running out of time to go get one since there is only one store here that uses them.  I was wandering the isles at wal-mart and came across felt squares that were just about the right color.  I bought a few and glued them together to make the shirt.  I had an extra that I was able to make the mask from.  I'm not super excited about the mask, but it still looks good enough.  Dailynn had a blast painting the pattern on it and was so excited to go be in the zoo.  I have to say that was the cutest zoo I have ever been to!




No comments: