Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wedding Cake

Ok, so I was asked to put together Brittney's wedding cake for the luncheon. So I had a hard time trying to figure out how to make it half fake to try to save money. I know, styrofoam is the right thing to use right, no it was going to cost quite a bit to do that, so I had to come up with something else. Finally my wonderful friend Anna told me to use rice crispy treats. It was such a wonderful idea!! So I made the bottom and middle tiers out of the rice crispy treat and decorated them with regular frosting.













I was trying to figure out how to decorate it, and another wonderful friend of mine, Sherrie, was helping me brainstorm ideas. We came up with making the middle tier
white while making the other 2 brown. We just couldn't bring our selves to make a green cake. (Brown and green were her colors) So then Sherrie suggested writing their names on the white tier. She wanted to do White frosting, but I suggested a realy light green, and I think it turned out ok with it being green. We worked on the white teir a week before because Sherrie was going out of town for the whole week before the wedding. Luckily she was so nice to let me freeze it in her big empty freezer, rather than having it subjected to the rath of my children.
The next week I worked on the bottom teir, making 4 batches of rice crispy treats just to make the structure. Another great suggestion from Sherrie was to make a ribbon rather than make my verry shakey hands do piping all over it. I found a nice thick white ribbon and a small green ribbon. I hot glued the green one in 2 strips all down the white one. Then I fashioned a flat bow to go over the seam of ribbon. It was nice that the "cake" was solid enough to just use straight pins to hold the ribbon on it.
Yeah, that worked GREAT!! Then on Thursday before the big day I baked the cake, chocolate of course. That is basicly all I did that whole day. Friday was decorating day. It's amazing how much time it takes to get the frosting smooth and even over a small (and harder over a large) cake. Finally I was happy enough with the smoothness, but had to wait until it set enough to do the border. Then sit even more before I could put the ribbon on. Yes this was an ALL day thing, and somehow the girls didn't hurt it. MIRACLE!!!!
Then Saturday was the big day. I didn't realize that I had gotten the wrong size of box for the base, so it was sitting open the whole morning. I asked my grandparents to transport me because I trusted them in their driving and lack of items that could hurt the cake for the morning.
After pictures, my grandparents and I hurried
back to the hotel where the luncheon was at and put the cake together. There was a slight causulty with the hearts next to the names, but I don't think anyone noticed. I quickly put it together, scaring the spectators a time or two with the placements and holding the cakes, but nothing big happened. Once it was done I was so happy to be free of it.












After the cake cutting I shoved it all back into boxes, looking less deliciouse than before and got it home. Everyone liked it, and it worked out great, even though the pictures show all of it's flaws. Oh well, it was dark enough in the that I didn't mind too much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cake looked great! Good Job.

le35 said...

The rice crispy treats were a great idea.

I think that they would be easier to decorate than cake anyway. Do they fall apart while icing them like the cake does?

And did you try eating the frosted rice crispy treats? They might be yummy.

Christine said...

The cake turned out GREAT! Good Job! That was a TON of work.

Anderson's said...

So the rice crispy treat was ok to decorate, there were still individual crispies that would fall off, but it worked great.

Our Corner said...

Great Job!!! The cake looks great.