Sunday, December 11, 2011

Patience and Healing

I guess that I have been considering my testimony lately. It hasn't wavered, but I have noticed that when people are sharing theirs, and it seems so profound and they say how strongly they know something, it just makes me wonder what I know and what I just think I believe. I think I was considering that and I think I remember praying for an increased testimony. I have a Loving Heavenly Father that is more than willing to help me out with this, but you know what that means.... The learning process isn't always fun, but when you look back it is always sweet.

So, back to the title. I Heavenly Father is a very patient being, He will sit back and wait for us silly mortals to finally give up on the idea that we can do it all on our own and turn to Him for help. I keep running into that wall, and it is strange how it is so easy to forget. My weakness in this is with illness. I listen to a kid cough for hours before it kicks in that it isn't normal. or if they just have a fever, but are up and playing it doesn't send up red flags. So one night a few months ago Jeslyn was just hysterical. She was screaming and nothing I did would calm her down. I was in the living room with her just rolling around on the flour crying, not wanting me to pick her up, not wanting a drink, just in agony. After a few min of this at 3 in the morning, I was in tears! I finally remembered that there is nothing I can do about it, but there is someone that can help. I started a pleading prayer and instantly she calmed down. She went to a whimper then fell asleep in my arms. At that point I gave a much happier and very gracious prayer again and got her in bed and got to sleep myself. Another instance of this happened this week. It was yet again 3 in the morning and Jeslyn was coughing so much. Coughing doesn't cause me too much alarm, who hasn't had a cough last for months in the winter? The problem is that she was just finishing up with croop, so coughing like that wasn't ok. I tried calming her down, giving her drinks, taking her for a walk in the cold, everything, and finally I decided that it was time for the prayer again. Yet again, as soon as I say my pleading prayer with tears in my eyes, she calms down. We still had coughing, and it kept me up, but she was finally able to rest.

I also had another instance this weekend with my family. I was attending a funeral of an uncle, and of course it was a hard occasion. The funeral was so wonderful though, the words said were so uplifting and peaceful to the soul. The Lord is able to heal in a multitude of ways, and I am grateful for the knowledge that I have of the healing power. I am grateful that I have the gospel in my life to help support me through hard times, and such wonderful people in the gospel to help me understand it. I know my Heavenly Father loves me, and that he is mindful of me and my family.

1 comment:

Our ABC Family said...

Emily, thank you so much for sharing this. I think everyone's testimony is different as to how they share it or feel it. Some are able to express it with words, others are able to feel it all around them in their lives, or in your sweet stories you just shared. It's experiences like that, that for someone like me, really hit me hard, and I look at my own life and my own testimony. I hope this makes sense......thank you again for sharing your sweet testimony. I hope you are all doing well!