Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Reading

So when I was in elementary school (maybe Jr High), I remember hearing my teacher say that english is the hardest language to learn, I didn't realy get it then. I get it now. We are trying to teach Avi to read and we take for granted the knowledge we have because the english language is hard to get when you are 4 and trying to figure it out. I need a good brush up on the rules just so that I don't mess Avi up as we are teaching her.

Avi is doing so good at reading. We have some basic words flash cards that she sits and reads once in a while. Once she gets the word she makes a sentence that has that word so that she understands the word. We have gotten a few doozies. One of my favorite was the word "long" she said "I hope the vine is long enough so mom can swing on it." Yeah, we have had some other fun ones, some I am a little embarrased to put on here.

Avi also reads just about anything she encounters, including cereal boxes and any peice of paper in the house. She has also started spelling out things through the sounds. Our hope is to have her reading whole books (yes little ones) by the time we get to summer.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow, what and awesome mom!