Wednesday, January 30, 2013

3 weeks

 
1-20-13
Keila is now 3 weeks old, and we are still getting into the groove.  We have been having fun figuring out feeding time.  She started out by not wanting to eat while we were at the hospital.  When I had Avi the nurses were very insistent on how often you feed the baby.  They would get mad at me if it wasn't within 3 hrs, and made me wake her up to eat, etc.  I remember a little fussing from them with Dai as well, but with Keila they were very kind and patient with both of us.  As long as they saw me trying they weren't worried, and the Dr. was great about it as well.  Once the two of us got things figured out we got out of there.  We still had an interesting time getting things into a routine.  I know this for sure, she will not eat if she is not ready! 
We went to the 2 week apt, and found out that she was the same weight as she was when she discharged.  That was so weird for me because the other 3 girls had exceeded their birth weight by then.  The Dr. was a little concerned and wanted me to check back in a few days.  When we went back in she was gaining weight so that took care of my concern. 
Keila gets a bit gassy, which makes it hard for her to sleep, so needless to say I haven't been getting quite enough sleep myself.  I have been learning what crying at night warrants me getting her out of bed and which ones I can binki her and go back to sleep.  I have spent many nights asleep on the couch with her in my arms.  I know that Kristl will just say "let her sleep in the bed with you", but I have learned from the other kids that I don't do good with that.  I let Avi sleep in the bed with us a few times for just an hour or so, and after that I had many many nightmares about a baby suffocating in the bed, and woke up to find that I was yanking all the blankets off Nathan in an attempt to rescue the baby.  I had those with Dai from just napping with her during the day.  I can somewhat sleep on the couch with her in my arms, but not in bed. 
I am lucky though because Keila will go 6-7 hours at night without having to eat.  I love that she does that, the only problem is that she doesn't fall asleep till about 2-3 hours into that, and then starts stirring an hour before she wakes up making it about a 3 hr block that I can sleep.  Jeslyn is pretty easy to distract during the day, so I have been able to get naps here and there to help out. 
The girls still love her so much, but the mauling has stopped.  Jeslyn was indifferent when she came home, started to love helping out with her, and is now back to indifferent again.  If Keila screams for more than 2 min (while I'm in the shower or something) then she will try to binki her, or make sure that I know that she is screaming.  Avi loves being put in charge of watching her while I take care of things like dinner and bathrooms with Jeslyn.  Dai just says hello for the most part, and gets me stuff if I ask for it.  We all love our adorable little girl, and have learned that there are times when Mom can't do things so they are helping out.
  1-30-13

5 comments:

Jason and Jody said...

She is adorable Emily! I can't wait to meet her! :)

Our ABC Family said...

I didn't realize our babies were so close together!!! Congratulations, she is a doll!

Anderson's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anderson's said...

Yep 17 hours is pretty close, congrats to you too, Presly is beautiful

Our Corner said...

look at all that hair. OMGoodness She is a DOLL! :) I just want to cuddle her.